April Sound Yesterday and Today
April Sound began in the early 1970′s as a resort and country club get-a-way for Houstonians. It’s close proximity to the 4th largest city in the country made it ideal. It is situated on about 1300 acres of beautifully wooded hills and valleys on the south shore of Lake Conroe. It would be hard, if not impossible to find a more idyllic setting on which to build a country club and resort. Over the years city dwellers discovered that April Sound is really not that far of a commute (about 55 miles) to downtown Houston. With the explosion of growth in The Woodlands just north of Houston, many people employed there prefer lake living just twenty minutes to the north.
April Sound is now called home by over 7000 residents from all over the country (and world). The diversity is great with retirees and young families with children in the very highly rated Montgomery School District. They have all found a great place to live, whether retired or raising a family or just to enjoy life to it’s fullest.
Montgomery began as a trading post about a mile north of its present site. Colonists, which included Stephen F. Austin and Owen and Margaret Montgomery Shannon, settled here on a land grant and did trading with the local Indians. Lots were advertised for sale in 1837 for the newly formed town, which touted it as the new center for a new county. Montgomery was the county seat until only 1889 when it was moved to Conroe. The first school opened here in 1839. The city was incorporated in 1848. Many beautiful homes were built during the 1850′s. Many are still used and occupied even today. By 1900 many business had come into town. The town prospered, but when the county seat was moved to Conroe, much business went with it. Today Montgomery has retained its small, hometown feel. It is a quiet place with a great deal of history. Home tours are held by the Montgomery Historical Society. The Society may be reached at P.O. Box 513, Montgomery TX 77356
Statistics & Facts